Monday, March 7, 2011

accountability is key!

In the past 8 years I've been dedicated to fitness in varying degrees.  My gym membership started out as something that added dimension to my day to day routine as a mother of a 1 year old.  The 1 hour break from mommyhood 3 times each week made me feel sane - something any mother of a colicky baby NEEDS!  And yes, Lauren was still crying and not sleeping much STILL at that age.   Between the break and the body's natural release of endorphins that exercise creates, I knew my gym membership was something I'd continue to need and use for years to come!

One thing I know about myself is that when I make a goal,  I need accountability. Right away I noticed that an older gentleman named Ron was at the gym at the same time I was, and in fact, we both were focused on cardio only.  It helped that he likes to gossip like a girl - and a partnership was born!  It was that partnership that made me feel accountable.  I knew that if I didn't show up he'd wonder where I was, and visa versa.  I HAD to go.  And I knew that accountability factor was exactly what I needed.

Just as maintaining a partnership at the gym made dedication to fitness easier, setting a goal of a fitness competition has led me to completely achieve my fitness potential - not once but twice so far!  Without a goal, I know I will never have pushed myself as hard as I did.  Now, over a year later, I am finding myself unable to really go full throttle towards that goal for a third time, so what do I do?  I reach for another type of accountability - this blog.  Eeeks.  People will be following my journey this time.  It feels a little funny to put myself out there in the way - I feel a little vulnerable.  But accountability is what I need!  Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment