Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What is a fitness competition?

It was many years ago I saw my first fitness competition on ESPN.  It was called Fitness America and I was amazed at how athletic these 30 and 40something year old women were!  1 armed push ups, crazy strength moves, tumbling....  I knew way back then that that such a competition was officially making it to my bucket list!  In 2009 I switched up my workout routine quite drastically.  In fact, I aborted all cardio and started to focus on weight training only.  Wow, what a difference!  My body began to change right away.  Although I weighed the same, my pant size actually went down a size, and I felt amazingly strong!!  I knew then that I was going to seize the moment, and that I was suddenly ready to move ahead on that little chapter of my bucket list.  So what is a fitness competition?

A fitness competition consists of 2 rounds of competition:
First round:  the competitor should have good to excellent muscle tone with clean, tight lines. She should appear to have reasonable levels of body fat. Her physique should look as if it was constructed through proper diet and fitness training. Her physique should appear evenly developed, displaying her attention to a totally fit body. Her great legs with lean thighs should "match" her beautifully sculpted arms and slender waist to create a very feminine appearance.  (We call this the "swimsuit round")
Second round (routine <2min)
She must demonstrate strength, flexibility, and endurance in an original fitness routine. She may incorporate any skill or talent she may possess - gymnastics/tumbling are not a requirement, though they can strengthen the routine's score. She should demonstrate a high level of execution of movements, including full extension. Her routine should "appear" effortless. She should include a diversity of routine elements with a high degree of complexity and difficulty.



No comments:

Post a Comment