Friday, March 11, 2011

The Big Picture

So I'm just getting back in the swing of things.  That means a high protein diet.  The most important thing I do to keep myself on track is to keep a food journal. I start by eating as SOON as I get up in the morning... gotta stoke the fire!  Usually for me that means egg whites/fruit/oatmeal.  I keep my body's metabolism going at a steady pace by eating every few hours.  My goal is to eat proactively; to not really ever feel hunger pains.  That's harder than it sounds!!!
What else do I include in my training diet?  Chicken.  Lots of it. (ugg!) I actually keep a stash of plain cooked chicken in the fridge to pick away at.  It's actually pretty tasty chopped up and mixed with chopped grapes. ;)  My steady diet also includes tuna, greek yogurt, lots of veggies (sweet potatoes during the day - not after, say, 4pm), oatmeal,  ezekial bread, and fruit.  Boring, right???  I know...  and that's why I'm definitely NOT perfect when it comes to my diet.
It would be SO much easier to stick to the plan if I didn't have kid friendly foods stocking my cupboards as well, but I try to be as strict as possible.  If I mess up, I write that down, too.  Honestly, sometimes just knowing I'll have to write down the words "5 Thin mints" amidst an otherwise well balanced list is enough to curb temptation.  It's that whole "accountablity" factor that works for me so well, but not always.  And that's exactly what I had to record yesterday - only I WISH it was only 5!!!
But really, the other thing that I have found, is that to stay on track, I always have to be able to forgive myself and move on.  **It's the big picture, after all!!!**

No comments:

Post a Comment